I’ve made this cake dozens of times, and it’s very simple and incredibly delicious. People are shocked when I tell them it’s gluten free. I’ve doubled it with no problems, and there are only 5 ingredients–it’s a great recipe to make with your kids. The original recipe game from Molly Wizenberg’s A Homemade Life, which you should read, if you haven’t.
Prep: Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and line an 8 inch round metal cake pan with parchment paper.
Step One: Roughly chop 8 ounces of chocolate. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or microwave, stirring regularly.
The mixture should be rich and silky.
Step Two: Remove pan from heat, and stir in 1 1/3 cups of sugar.
The mixture will now look grainy.
Step Three: Let the mixture cool about 3 minutes, then add 5 eggs, one at a time. I crack eggs into a separate bowl and scramble with a fork before adding to the chocolate mixture. Stir well, so that the eggs and chocolate batter are well combined.
Step Four: Add 1 tablespoon of flour–I use a gluten free flour, either rice or garbanzo. Wheat flour also works, if you’re not avoiding gluten.
Step Five: Pour batter into cake pan lined with parchment, and bake for 20 minutes. Check the cake at that time, and add 5 minutes of baking time until it’s done. I give the pan a little shake–the middle should be a tiny bit jiggly, but not a lot. You’ll know once you make it when the middle is pretty solid looking.
Step Six: Let the cake cool in the pan, then invert on a cooling rack and peel off the parchment. It’s delicious with powdered sugar sifted over the top, whipped cream, or fresh strawberries/raspberries. It’s also excellent at room temperature. If you’re serving a whole meal, do yourself a favor and make this the day before.
- 8 ounces of chocolate
- 8 ounces of butter
- 1⅓ cups of sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon of gluten free flour
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line an 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper
- Roughly chop the chocolate, then melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler or microwave
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 1⅓ cup of sugar
- Let the mixture cool for 3 minutes
- Crack an egg into a bowl and scramble with a fork or whisk. Then add to chocolate batter and stir well. Repeat for all 5 eggs
- Add 1 Tablespoon of gluten free flour
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 20 minutes
- Cake is done when center barely jiggles
- Let cake cool in pan, then invert on baking rack and peel of parchment
- Top with powdered sugar, whipped cream, or fruit